Year 4’s Anglo-Saxons and Vikings Theme Day
9th May 2023
– Tags: Activities
On Wednesday 3rd May, Year 4 had an exciting and interactive day of learning led by Primary History Workshops. Everything centred around Anglo-Saxons and Vikings and children were hooked in from the very first session when Adam (our workshop teacher) was dressed in character telling children stories from the Anglo-Saxon era. It was quite simply brilliant!
Throughout the day children experienced the following:
- Artefact carousel - this involved exploring and trying on different items.
- Archaeology search - using equipment to replicate discovering items underground and establishing whether they were from the Anglo-Saxon/Vikings time period or not.
- Stories about Beowulf & Grendel, the attack on Lindisfarne and the fall of the Anglo-Saxons and Vikings.
- Learning how to codecrack and translate a piece of Anglo-Saxon text into modern day English.
- We learned to play the game Merrells which was unbelievably fun and addictive.
- Archery skills and target shooting, including a moving target (when Adam dressed in armour moved across the hall towards us.)
- Shield games - team building activities using shields.
Our children were fantastic and inquisitive throughout the whole day and were a real credit to Colley Lane Primary Academy.